Thursday, August 2, 2012

More wall art on the cheap! Create something funky for free!

So a few weeks ago I was slated with the task of updating the look of my sister's wine and dessert bar, Bittersweet. So of course instead of purchasing new artwork to hang on the walls - I made some!

You can make something unique and fun for your home just as easily and you can use things you already own and free stuff to make it a project that doesn't break the bank!

All you need is some picture frames (I recycle ones that are already on the wall with new, updated artwork), scrapbook paper or wrapping paper in a shade or design you love, some clipart and your printer, and paint sample squares from your local hardware store!

The color scheme at Bittersweet is pink, cream and brown - and here are some samples of what I came up with:



Pretty spiffy, huh? 

The background of these images are simply scrapbook paper from a collection that came in a huge book - paper I already had. If you go to a craft store you'll find a HUGE array of these books and individual sheets you can purchase. Depending on the size of the project I would recommend getting a book since the shades of the pages usually coordinate really well together and that takes out some of the guesswork as to which paint sample colors to choose when you head over to Lowe's or Home Depot!

Before I assembled the pictures, I went online and searched for wine glass, wine bottle and corkscrew clipart files. Once I found a few that I liked I put them into my editing program (you can probably use them black if you don't have a program to change the colors) and clicked around until I found colors that I liked. Then I printed off a few sheets. I also printed off words like "chocolate", "cheers!" and "drink and be merry!", just to go with the wine and dessert theme.

Finally I hit up the hardware store. I used about 10 to 12 paint sample swatches for the large 16x20 frames and half that many for the smaller 8x10 frames. As long as you stay in the same color "family" pretty much any shade of your favorite colors will look nice together. Here I used a variety of browns, pinks and whites/creams - and it worked out great.

Take all your supplies and just mess around with the composition and arrangement of individual components until you like the way it looks. Then adhere it and flip it into the frame. You're done! 

This project only takes minutes to complete, and its so super easy - anyone can do it!

Check out more samples of different collages I created: 



Mix it up by adding some paint or ribbon, and bits of newspaper or other printed material. You can even go more extreme and do a full blown collage like the image below:


I dipped a cork in brown paint to create the circles and then used a bit of pink paint and the bottom of a wine bottle to create the larger rings! 

If that all seems too complex, just keep it simple by using a single colored sheet as the background, a few paint sample chips and a silhouette of silverware, like this: 



So many ways to make it your own! Experiment!

Hope this gives you some ideas or inspiration to change up the decor in your business or home! Have fun! Oh, and if you're ever in the Syracuse, NY area - hit up Bittersweet for yummy wine and homemade desserts (I might even be the one serving you, if you are lucky!) 

Until next time.... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment