Saturday, April 21, 2012

How to make your own photo business cards - for free! (or close enough!)

So I have recently embarked on a new adventure. I am attempting to start a photography business. I have always loved taking pictures and wondered if it were possible to make my adoration for the camera into a career.


I have had a DSLR for about a year now, and just six months ago I took the plunge and put my camera in Manual mode. I am ashamed to admit I had no idea the power that was in my possession until I made that tiny adjustment. Tiny because it was a click or two from the "auto" mode or "portrait" mode. But really I couldn't fathom what an enormous change that little click would make in my photographs.

Fast forward to today and I feel like I'm getting a good handle on what I am doing. I love learning more and more and I hope to get better and better. But here's the thing - I don't have the cash flow necessary to start a business right now.

Recently I was at the bookstore browsing around and found a book I had seen mentioned by one of my sisters. The title is "Steal Like an Artist". Naturally, fancying myself an artist, I wanted to see what exactly that meant. The book is a great and quick read, and I recommend it to anyone trying to be anything. One of the biggest take aways for me was "Fake it til you make it", or if you want to be something pretend you are that thing and eventually you will be. That's what I'm trying to do.

Another tip they mentioned was that when faced with too many choices, a person can go crazy just trying to decide. This is one of my main problems. I don't have a focal point - I don't know what direction I should be going in. I love doing so many different things. The author's suggestion at facing this challenge is to put yourself in a situation where you don't have a choice. To limit yourself. To make a painting using only one color or start a business with no capital. Ding! Ding! Ding!

So here I am, trying to take on that challenge.

Firstly I have created a free gmail account for all of my business related emails. Next I created a Facebook page (here it is if you are interested). Both of these were free and easy to set up. Of course I want a big fancy website and I even started a free trial at a site specifically geared towards photographers. But once the trial is over they want $250.00 to make my site a reality. And I just don't have the dough right now.

The next thing on my list is some kind of advertising. And that's where the business cards come in.

I got a terrific idea from some ladies on a photography forum that I am a part of. They suggested a site where I could buy these awesome cards with a photo on one side and my info on the other. Brilliant! They look beautiful and they showcase my work! I ordered a bunch of samples and am waiting for them in the mail...and then it occurred to me: I can't afford to actually buy these fancy business cards!

So of course, I made my own. Here is the final product:


I know, I know - they look fantastic, right??

All I had to do was make up a template at the correct business card size, drop my photo of choice in there and then take that whole thing to another 8 1/2 x 11 sheet, where I made a center line and put a card on each side of it. Two columns and five photos in each makes 10 cards per page. Then I made the back up using the same business card template to make sure all of my info fit. Dragged those over and copied them ten times over, placing them so that they will print exactly on the backs of each image.

I test printed the sheet of photos to check alignment and coloring and then stuck it back in the printer, blank side up to test the info side. When it all check out ok, I just upped the quality of the print, stuck in some heavy white card stock and let them go! 

Of course, I did have to whip out my handy dandy paper cutter (yes, the one I used to hand cut all 6 layers of all 120 of my wedding invitations back in the day). You need a steady hand and a little finesse, but anyone can do this. And the best part is that it took me the better part of an hour, a few sheets of paper and minimal amounts of ink. That's it!

Now I have something to start handing out to potential clients, and I am so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment